After much ado about my table topper's wonky borders I came up with a solution. Thankyou for your suggestions as I had thought of them myself but was a little unsure. However, I decided to trim back those pesky side borders by 1/ 4 " and then stitched the binding 3/ 8ths ". As usual, I stuffed up the binding join ( I think I will go back to my easier way...just stitching binding to the 4 sides separately), so the end result is not exactly straight. The topper just needs a bit of ironing and starching now to help ease the puckering.
The 2nd botanical embroidery is almost finished. I discovered that I am not that adept at stem stitch but improved as I went along.
My blanket is slowly growing.