Friday 24 July 2020

PANDEMIC FASHION TREND


A new fashion trend has emerged since masks are now compulsory here.  Disposable masks are very popular as they can be disposed of after one wear but that will certainly add to the budget and environmental issues. Wear and wash ones are all over the internet to purchase although long delays may be a problem. I was surprised to see people wearing some beautiful and amusing home made masks when I was shopping on Wednesday.  I decided to make my own with ties as the ones with elastic tend to slip over my eyes every time I look down . After much internet searching I finally found, what I consider, to be the easiest tutorial which is Missouri Star Quilters'  You tube tutorial. As I was only using fabric in my stash , the only problem was finding matching fabric for the ties as it requires 40" lengths by 2 1/2". I discovered some black homespun in a drawer for my first mask.


I had a few lovely comments from people in the supermarket. 

My daughter ordered some online from a local girl  but wouldn't receive them in time so I made 2 for her . I texted pics of various fabrics to her and she chose these.



That pink looking one is actually lilac and the ties were made from strips left over from my angel quilt joined lengthways. I was lucky to find a length of the white and blue floral in a drawer to make the ties on the blue one. They fit really well.

I remember reading that Parisian women carried beautiful gas mask boxes during the war instead of all being the same.

Much stitching has been happening here.  I finished the January stitcheries for the BOM.



February's also done.


I started one of March's.


The April ones have been traced.



I really need to start piecing the first 2 blocks or else I will end up with a box of stitcheries stashed away. I am trying really hard to not to that again.

I finished this book last night. It is a different style of book for me but it was quite enjoyable. The chapters are brief, the story slowly unfolds about the main character at a lovely pace and the end completely surprised me. I did guess something else though. Not telling! 


Angel Blessings.



8 comments:

  1. Great job on the masks. Pretty stitcheries as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the masks....love all your stitching. Keep well x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful masks Ondrea and very useful. The disposable ones are already having an impact on the environment and the World can do without that! Beautiful stitching on the Gail Pan BOM too! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ondrea well done on your lovely masks and your stitcheries are beautiful. It sure is a strange world that we are living in at the moment,stay safe and take care my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice masks - I think we are all maing them! Great work on your stitcheries too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done really well with mask making, mine were a failure, have to try again 😁😁. You are doing So well with your stitcheries, you will be up to date before you know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great masks ..... I love the way you refer to them as a fashion trend... your stitcheries are coming along so well. The piecing doesnt take too long... takes me longer choosing the fabrics! haha
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty stitcheries, the masks look great.

    ReplyDelete

CROSSTITCHING

  I have enjoyed more stitching time making my tree of hearts bloom and grow.  Now that I have found a way of rediscovering my stitching moj...