Saturday 2 February 2019

DOMESTIC LIFE IN BOOKS

This week Jenny's link up is about books we love and have loved through the years depicting domestic life. As a child I absolutely adored the Little House On the Praire books written by Laura Ingalls about her family 's life and later, as an adult, I became even more fascinated with Laura's life experiences as a wife and mother.




Her inner strength, and physical strength despite being a petite woman truly inspired me . She and her husband were never afraid of hard work, nor were her parents. Infact , one of the quotes on the back of A Little House Sampler by Publishers Weekly said "Laura's writings promote the virtues and happiness to be found in hard work and simple things". I particularly love her writings from the Ozarks and on the inner front sleeve of the book  it says ".......Laura lends her advice to women of her generation on such timeless issues as how to be an equal partner with their husbands, how to support new freedoms they'd won with the right to vote, and how to maintain important family values in their changing world." The essays in this book appeared in the Missouri Ruralist between 1911 and 1924, so WOW! How relevent these issues still are today! 


Ofcourse, I loved" Anne of Green Gables", and "Little Women" but Laura's biographical and journalist writings are foremost in my mind.

So, what domestic things have I been up to? Well, I fiinished hand quilting those coasters.


Being on a partly restricted diet( I say partly because I can now tolerate some things if I don't eat them too often) I don't and never really have baked cakes, desserts or biscuits much. I was always into alternative  healthier foods. However, I sometimes get the urge to bake and there are some nice recipes out there which are Ondrea friendly.  Jenny www.elefantz.com has some lovely suitable recipes and I have baked her rock cakes a few times although I substitute a couple of ingredients if I haven't got them in my pantry. I baked these last week.


Well, I think that is all I have to contribute to this link up. Please have a thought for our dear Jenny and her family during this stressful time up North with the floods. Many have already been evacuated and lost homes . Australia has always been a country of fires, floods and droughts. Down south we currently have bushfires and although they are thankfully  quite a distance from where I live we could still smell smoke all night and I awoke with a husky voice and slight upper respiratory irritation.  

Angel Blessings and hugs to all.





2 comments:

  1. You have noted several of my favourites Ondrea! Well done with your baking and quilting.
    Yes we certainly are a land of contradictions and sending love to our sodden north xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the table runner Ondrea, I am not familiar with Little House on the Praire, but read and enjoyed Anne of Green Gables. Something for me to follow up one day!! Our weather is unusual, makes you remember what a huge country we live in and how it can be so different in different places. Bush fires nearby must be so frightening.

    ReplyDelete

SANITY STITCHING

  Twelve months ago my mum broke her hip playing table tennis and I had weeks of hospital visits to assist my dad to. Well, almost a year to...